Medications At School

Medication required to be taken by students during school hours will be administered and controlled under the supervision of school personnel. To minimize disruptions to the school day, medicines should be taken at home rather than at school whenever possible.

If it is necessary for a student to take medication of any kind during the school day, including over-the-counter medications and inhalers, the parent or legal guardian must submit a Swain County Schools Medication Forms that has been completed by the child’s doctor.
All medication must be in the original container clearly labeled with the student’s name, the name of the medication, the dosage, and the frequency the medication is to be taken. Any change in medication should be reported to the school nurse by the parent/guardian.
A Swain County Schools Medication Forms must be completed for each medication and updated at the beginning of each school year or when changes are made.
Students who are at risk for medical emergencies, such as those with Asthma, Diabetes, or severe allergies, must have an emergency health care plan developed for them by the doctor and/or school nurse to address emergency administration of medicine. With an established care plan and proper authorization from a doctor/health care provider, rescue medications such as inhalers, Epi-pens, and prescribed diabetes medications may be self-carried by students.
Medication must be brought to school by a parent/guardian.  At the end of each school year, a parent/guardian must pick up the student’s medication. If not picked up, the medication will be discarded.
No over-the-counter medications are available at school.  This includes Tylenol, Advil, Tums, cough drops etc.

For more information about medication policies and procedures, please contact the school nurse.

Swain County Schools is in the process of reviewing its website to ensure compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you have questions or concerns regarding the accessibility of the website or if you are unable to access a page or document on the website, you may contact the Technology Department via email at

Contact Us: Phone: (828) 488-3129 Fax: (828) 488-8510     Swain County Schools: 280 School Dr. Bryson City, NC 28713     ©Swain County Schools 2016